Our Sustainability Practices
We follow a set of guiding principles and
practices in our home & business
to create sustainable,
eco friendly products.
- Use as few plastics and metals as feasibly possible, due to their
high-intensitymanufacturing processes and limited recyclability profiles.
- When we have to use plastics and metals only the best will do, with a low failure rate and good environmental stability so they last for years of active use.
- Use heavy-duty cotton canvas, modern cotton manufacturing and processing has a
lowerenvironmental impact compared to plastic textiles and can be easily recycled or repurposed many times over.
- Limit all material cut wastage to under 5%. This part works like a jigsaw puzzle. We start by laying the pattern on the material to be cut and looking for the most efficient way to position the large and small pieces together.
- Recycle any and all off-cuts wherever possible. (eg. Smaller products)
- Work a range of small to medium tailoring shops with a passion for
high-qualityproducts and processes to minimiseunnecessary faults and waste.
- Spend extra time planning and
organisingparts, materials & efficient processes to minimisefaults and waste.
- Design products and features that allow easy maintenance and repair.
- Everything we make is shipped by sea freight, as this produces approximately 45 times less CO2e compared to using Air Freight.
- We never, ever, ever pack our bulk gear individually for shipping. That means zero individual plastic wrapping, no paper
andno fumigation. Just large, well-sealedcardboard boxes packed to the brim.
- When we send a product to you, the customer, it comes in a plain Australia Post Satchel, again, with no extra plastic or paper wrapping, no bow ties or trinkets. Boring yes, but if our gear can’t survive a postage trip then it’s not worth making.
- We also don’t provide any sort of packing in our shop or on our market stall.
- We appreciate your support and commitment to saving our oceans and forests for future generations.
- We try to repair all damaged or faulty products to limit waste and extend the product’s life cycle.
- We recycle any un-repairable units through reuse of parts and materials, you would be surprised what an epic fail can inspire 🙂
- All our business cards and other limited print media is made using sustainable soy inks on 100% recycled papers.
- We are proud owners of a 5 kW Solar System at our Home/HQ.
- Our next plan is to build and install a solar tracking system so the panels constantly face the sun which should improve their output by 20% to 30%
- We are also excited with the new residential battery systems becoming available and estimate that approximately 9 kWh should cover all our homes requirements and have some over left for our
Organizations We Support
These are organizations & charities that we support
through donations, volunteering or promotion.
Sumatran Orangutan Society – Protecting Their Only Home
Sea Shepherd – The front line in Animal Conservation
WSPA International – A
Greenpeace – A worldwide organization protecting our planet
Animal Friends Jogja – Caring for animals and educating locals
Extreme Ice Survey – Monitoring Global Ice Systems
The Green School Bali – Creating a green future for children from all over the world
Tesla – Just because…… 🙂